Thursday, January 2, 2014

almostRN



"The holidays bring so much conversation and predictions about the future, specifically at family parties and holiday events. Graduation is in 4 months and it's all starting to hit me! Over break, I have been shadowing nurses at A.I. Dupont Children's Hospital and LOVING IT. I am so happy I got this opportunity! Today, I shadowed the nicest nurse at the PICU, spent a day at the NICU and also got PACU/Pre-Op and OR experience last week. I am so ready to become a nurse and I now know that my niche is pediatrics. It has such a positive and happier atmosphere and environment. The NICU would be cool and I find all of that information/disorders interesting but I like a patient who can talk to me. Pediatrics is so inspiring, rewarding and interesting.  PICU was intense; not sure if I can handle near-drownings, car accidents and serious trauma. I got to see 2 surgeries in the OR; ACL repair and hernia repair. The ACL repair was 4 HOURS LONG! Wasn't a fan.

Although I'm not sure what department of nursing I want to start off in, I really hope it's in a children's hospital. I've also talked with so many nurses about travel nursing and this seems so cool. The salary is awesome especially if I want to explore other areas to live! California?! Hawaii?! Florida?! I'm there. Meanwhile, we're supposed to get snow tonight and tomorrow.

I am so excited for the next few months; so much to look forward to. Headed back to school, my last semester of nursing school, the NCLEX and then finally getting a job! Helloooooooo real world. I want to get some experience down in a hospital for a few years, then maybe pursue travel nursing, maybe go back to school for my Master's and settle down with a 9-4 job with no holidays or weekends. However, school nursing has my heart. We'll see. 

Meanwhile, we have a medication exam on the second day of class so nursing school has not failed to keep me busy, even on breaks. So that's that. Definitely gonna be quite a journey of a year.  xo



No comments:

Post a Comment