Tuesday, November 18, 2014

New to nursing

First week of my first big girl job- complete. What a week. From orientation to my first night shift, moving to Baltimore and taking this new job was the best thing I could've done for myself! Two night shifts complete, several new people at work, friendly faces and new environments. So much has been going on! 


I had been so anxious about night shift, it's really not as bad as they say! But it might be. Here are my notes/tips to self so far...
1. Try to nap for a little while before your night shift, any length of sleep will do.
2. This might involve waking up early and exhausting yourself, so you can sleep, like I did. 
3. Coffee at 1 AM. Coffee and I are now friends.
4. Pack an exciting dinner/midnight snack... It'll keep you excited until it's gone.
5. Comfortable shoes make the shift twenty times better. I also recommend knee high TEDs.
6. Shower upon getting home, this will make you feel clean and I think it makes me sleep better.
7. Sleep until you want, but if you're converting back to normal people hours.. Wake yourself up at about 2pm.
8. Night shift nurses seem to have more time in their hands, be an extraordinary nurse and already have things completed for day shift nurses.



I don't have too many tips yet, but hopefully I'll master this thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment